I found this recipe on Pintrest, shocking I know, and it lead me to My Baking Addiction's website. Originally I made them per her recipe, but I've changed it up a bit, more to my liking.
Reese's Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Cupcakes1 (18.25 ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
24 Reese’s Miniatures; frozen (this prevents them from disappearing into the batter)
Peanut Butter Buttercream frosting3 sticks salted butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1.5 pounds (24 ounces or about 5.5 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted
6-8 tablespoons heavy cream (if using milk, amount will be less)
Cupcakes1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer and bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, eggs, vanilla and water. Mix on medium speed until well combined.
3. Scoop the batter between the 24 cupcake wells; about 3 tablespoons of batter per well. Place one frozen Reese’s Miniature into the center of each cupcake, but don't push it all the way to the bottom of the pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly touched. Don't mind the void that the peanut butter cup created, you'll fill that with the frosting, yum!!!
5. Remove cupcakes from muffin tins. While allowing them to cool, prepare the frosting.
Peanut Butter Buttercream frosting1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer and bowl, cream butter and peanut butter on medium speed until fluffy. Turn your mixer down to low speed and slowly add in the confectioner’s sugar, and continue mixing until well blended.
2. Add vanilla and 4 tablespoons of heavy cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add an additional 1 to 4 tablespoons of heavy cream until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy
3. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and enjoy!